Despite the negative reputation that opossums have for consuming trash and generally being unhygienic animals, they can be beneficial. They are considered nature's garbage disposal because they eat just about anything including dangerous insects like ticks, but you still don't want them on your property. Also known for their famous tactic of "playing dead", you should never walk up to an opossum that looks dead, they might not actually be dead. Opossums are still a wildlife creature and not one you want near you and your pets, call Critter Control of Kansas City right away!
In order to keep opossums out of yards and homes, habitat modification efforts can be employed.
- Remove overgrown shrubs and grasses to limit hiding places.
- Bring pet food in from the outdoors and secure trash can lids to limit food sources.
- Finally, building fences around gardens can restrict the pest's access to easy meals.
Common Opossum Problems
As opossums carry various diseases and have sharp teeth and claws, individuals should never try to trap the animal without professional assistance. Frequent opossum complaints that we receive from homeowners are:
- Opossums become aggressive when cornered and may bite, scratch, and hiss in order to escape.
- They're infested with household pests such as ticks, fleas, mites, and lice.
- They are carriers of diseases such as tuberculosis, tularemia and Chagas disease.
Full-Service Trapping and Removal
As opossums carry various diseases and have sharp teeth and claws, individuals should never try to trap the animal without professional assistance. Critter Control of Kansas City wildlife removal specialists has the proper training, knowledge, and tools to capture and remove pest opossums from homes and businesses. Contacting trained professionals keeps families and pets safe and disease-free.
We can help you get rid of opossum problems. Call Critter Control of Kansas City today! (913) 912-8985Request a Quote